Statutory Holiday Rules Across Canada
Understand statutory holiday rules and more!
What Will You Learn?
You’ll learn the minimum employment and labour standards related to public/statutory holidays across Canada plus best practices for managing these holidays. The guide will answer these essential statutory holiday questions:
- What are statutory holidays in my jurisdiction?
- How do I calculate stat. holiday pay?
- Do stat. holidays count toward overtime?
- How does working part-time affect statutory holiday entitlements?
- Can you pay employees their regular wages for a public holiday, without doing the calculations described in this guide?
- Should employees be given premium pay or a substituted day for working on a statutory holiday?
- Who decides which day to substitute for a statutory holiday?
- When do weekly overtime rules apply in a week with a public holiday?
- Is the first Monday in August a statutory holiday or a civic holiday in my jurisdiction?
Managing statutory/public holiday rules can be challenging and employers can face significant penalties for failing to meet legal requirements. You can minimize errors by understanding your basic obligations with this how-to guide.
You’ll find an overview explaining the most up-to-date legal requirements, including how to calculate stat. holiday pay, exempt employees, overtime on a stat. holiday, pay for statutory holidays and record keeping. In addition, the guide provides best practices and a sample statutory holiday policy to get you started.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need to fill out the requested form?
Is this really free?
Absolutely! Just sharing some free knowledge that we hope you’ll find useful. Keep us in mind next time you have questions!
Get Access to the Statutory Holiday Rules Guide Now!
First Reference Inc provides practical resources for payroll and employment law, HR best practices and internal controls essential for workplace compliance.
Copyright © 1995 – 2021 First Reference Inc.