A guide for Ontario employers and payers on complying with employment standards rules on statutory (public) holidays
This easy-to-understand guide provides a thorough review of the Employment Standards Act requirements in Ontario related to public (statutory) holidays, plus recommended best practices for payroll administration, including a sample policy. The guide answers the following frequently asked questions:
- What are statutory holidays in Ontario?
- Are employees entitled to holiday pay for a statutory holiday that occurs after their employment ends if they are terminated by the employer without notice?
- Are employees entitled to holiday pay for a statutory holiday that occurs after their employment ends if they quit or are terminated for cause?
- Is the first Monday in August a statutory holiday in Ontario?
- Who determines whether employees will be given premium pay or a substituted day for working on a statutory holiday?
- Who determines which day employees will be given in substitution for a statutory holiday?
- Can I pay employees their regular wages for a statutory holiday, without doing the calculations described in this guide?
- How does working part-time affect statutory holiday entitlements?
Inside the guide
- Legal Requirements
- Exempt employees
- What are the statutory holidays in Ontario?
- Statutory holiday entitlements
- Pay for statutory holidays
- Best Practices
- Implementing a statutory holiday policy
- Payroll administration
- Frequently asked questions
- Sample statutory holiday policy
Review the Table of Contents
Download and review a PDF of the Table of Contents to preview what's inside the guide.
Print ISSN: 1929-2953 Online ISSN: 1929-2961
*This guide is currently up to date. If a new edition or update of this guide is published within 60 days of your purchase, the PDF version of the up-to-date guide will automatically be emailed to you. Print copies are available at an additional charge.